Monday, August 27, 2012

Logan's Miracle Birth Story Part 2

Logan's Miracle Birth Story Part 2

*Read part 1 here

Jonathan and I had done some research on the procedure the night before and asked the doctor if the last attempt could be done while I had an epidural to relax my body. The doctor, who had done successful versions before, agreed.

Because I was getting a spinal/epidural they moved me to an operating room. Only one person was allowed in the operating room, so I took my mom, as she was less likely to pass out and Jonathan hung out in the waiting room.


Moments after they started the last attempt I felt a warm wet feeling go down  my legs. I asked the doctor if she had broken my water. She lifted up the sheet covering my legs and said, "No. That wasn't your water breaking. Somethings wrong and I'm going to have to get the baby out right now!" I found out later that the warm feeling was blood.

At this point I freaked out a little. In my mind, if I was able to feel the warmth on my legs I was going to be able to feel them cutting me! I stated begging them to not let me feel it. My doctor said, "Sarah, if you didn't feel what I just did to you you're not going to feel anything!"

Within minutes they had Logan out and he was fine. They let me see him for a little while and then whisked him out. Jonathan (who had no idea what was going on) said he was just sitting in the waiting room reading when a nurse rolled a new baby past that he thought looked like he could be our kid.

The doctors told me later that while they were attempting the version that last time, I had a placenta abruption.  

"Placenta abruptio is the separation of the placenta (the organ that nourishes the fetus) from its attachment to the uterus wall before the baby is delivered."

All the pushing and pulling had ripped the placenta right from my uterus.

I lost a lot of blood and had to have a blood transfusion but besides that we were all OK and we had our sweet, healthy baby boy.

After my initial freakout I had an amazing peace during the surgery. I remember saying, "Thank you Jesus" while I lay on the operating table. If the abruption would have happened in triage I'm not sure if Logan would have lived through it. I know for sure that God has His hand on us and it's only because of Him that things turned out alright.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!! I want to cry right now. That is so scary yet so miraculous!! Praise God. Yes He definitely had his hand on Logan the whole time. Sarah.... I can't even imagine. I just can't imagine. I can imagine the feeling from all the bloodwork to test the HGC. I had to go through that with my first pregnancy but it didn't end as well as your story :( VERY SCARY. Happy Birthday Logan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have chills running up and down my spine! Isn't it amazing how God works? So happy everything worked out okay. Happy birthday little man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness. What a terrifying experience for you. What a huge blessing and confirmation about the faith you have, that God was watching over you and Logan. He is your little miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How scary!!!!! I'm so glad you and your boy are safe and well now these 9 years later.

    ReplyDelete