Tuesday, October 1, 2013

DIY Halloween Jello Worms

Nobody likes me, everybody hates me, I think I'll go eat worms! Big fat juicy ones, Eensie weensy squeensy ones, See how they wiggle and squirm!

Jello Worms

These realistic looking Jello worms are a perfect Halloween treat!

Ingredients:

2 packs of raspberry Jello 

1 pack of unflavored gelatin (The Knox brand comes in a box with 4 packs. Use only 1 of those packs)

3 cups of boiling water

3/4 cups of whipping cream

Green food coloring

100 flexible straws

1 tall container around the same width/height as the 100 straws

Directions:

Combine 2 packs of raspberry Jello and 1 pack of unflavored gelatin with 3 cups of boiling water.

Mix for 2 minutes then let cool in until lukewarm.

Mix in 3/4 cup whipping cream.

Mix in enough drops of green food coloring to make a worm color - about 10-15 drops

Flex out all the straws and place them into the container (flexible side down making sure there's a tight fit) I wrapped them with a rubber band to help with this.

Pour Jello mixture as evenly as possible over the straws.

I got nervous when a lot of my mixture seemed to come right out of the bottom of the straws. Although they didn't fill the straws, I still ended up with good sized Jello worms.
I should have used a taller container but this is what I had
 Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.

To remove the Jello from the straws, run a few straws under warm water for a couple of seconds then squeeze them out into a bowl.

I think I may make cupcakes for Halloween and top them with Oreo cookie crumbs and these beauties :)

I bite off the heads, and suck out the juice, And throw the skins away! Nobody knows how fat I grow, On worms three times a day! 

1 comment: