Friday, July 26, 2013

Mod Podge

*This is a post I wrote a while ago for TPW which is going to be shutting down soon :(

Recently we moved our 11-year old into his own room. Right away he decided he was too cool for his old spaceship theme decor and wanted something different. Right away, I had a mini heart attack! Have you seen the prices for things like bedding and curtains lately!? I was not OK with spending hundreds of dollars on my kid's bedroom and was determined to figure out how to do it for less.

He wanted it to have an army theme and I thought that was perfect. With a few camo accents here and there, and a neutral colored comforter I'd be able to pull it off with out having to sell my right leg :)

My first idea was sprucing up the out-dated ceiling fan. I looked high and low until I finally found some camo scrapbook paper at Hobby Lobby. I had never used Mod Podge before but I've been itching to try it out for a long time!

First I removed the blades from the ceiling fan (and taking off all the hardware) then traced the fan blade on the back of one of the cameo scrapbook pages.

After cutting the paper to fit the blade, I used a small paint brush to cover the back of the camo paper with Mod Podge and carefully placed stuck it to the blade. Once in place, I gently smoothed the paper to get rid of any bumps or creases then let it dry for about 10 minutes.

Next I painted on another layer of Mod Podge over the top of the camo paper then let that dry for another 10 minutes.

When all the blades were done I just put the hardware back on and screwed the blades back onto the fan.

                                    Camo Ceiling Fan For About $8


I also used the same idea on his light switch plate for less than $1

Mod Podge is addicting! I find myself looking at things and the house and thinking, I could totally Mod Podge that.

I'm happy about the way they turned out and even more happy with the price :) Next on the list is curtains and bedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment