Monday, April 18, 2011

How to make all natural laundry soap at home. *With pictures*

Making laundry soap?!?.....I'm like flippin Martha Stewart who happens to be living in the ghetto.

I think I'll call it Jonathan's Little helper. JLH for short. My friend M recently told me that she's been making her own laundry soap for years. At first I laughed and begged her not to tell my husband. But after she told me how easy it was and that it comes out to be less then 8 cents a load, I figured it couldn't hurt to try. She also said that her daughter has eczema (so does Ethan) and that using JLH really helped her skin. It also cures the common cold...ok maybe it doesn't do that. But it could if it wanted! ;)

Anyways, below is step by step instructions on how to make your own JLH.

All you need is
  • 1/2 cup of Borax
  • 1/2 cup of washing soda
  • 1 bar of soap (I used Lever 2000 but you can use Dove or whatever you like)
  • a cheese grater
  • *Note* make sure your cheese grater is a wide spaced one. Mine was to small and I ended up just cutting the bar into tiny pieces.
  • a 2 gallon bucket
  • and water 
Pour 1 gallon of warm water into your 2 gallon bucket. Set aside.

Grate up your bar of soap, then melt it in a large pan on med./high heat (should take about 5 min.) with 6 cups of water.


Mix in the borax and washing soda to the melted soap mixture. *It will look like snot*

Mix in 6 more cups of water.


Take it off the heat and pour it into your bucket with the gallon of water.

*Note* M said that she will sometimes top the bucket off with a little more water. I added 2 more cups

Mix again and let sit for at least 1 hour.

At first it will look a little like egg drop soup. After a few more hrs. it looks almost like broken ice.

Use 1/4 to 1/2 cup per load.


Give JLH to your husband so he can do his job ;)

The other cool thing about this is that because it only uses a little of each ingredients, that you only have to buy them every 6 months or so.

And that's how ghetto Martha does it!

1 comment:

  1. "ghetto martha stwerat"--haha!!

    I have always wanted to try making my own laundry soap, but i'm pretty lazy... ;-p

    ReplyDelete