Saturday, November 19, 2011

Fall decor. Ghetto Martha Stewart style


I love the strong smell of the cinnamon scented pine cones they place just inside the doors of every Joann's and Michael's this time of year. It makes me want to sing Christmas songs out loud and buy everything in site! I think that's all part of their evil plan. As much as I loved them though, I never knew what I would do with a bag full of pine cones. That all ended when I came across another blog, where the lady showed how she used pine cones from her yard to make a garland. I loved the idea but instead of stealing them out of my neighbors yard in the middle of the night, I would use the ones from Joann's. Not only will the garland be a cute decoration, but my house will also smell like a craft store! Winning!

I started out making one to go across the big doors of our front porch. But hanging something across a door wasn't the greatest idea I've ever had. So Jonathan came up with this idea.

The pine cones were on sale (2 for $6) and I used a coupon. Then we just tied some cream yarn around the stems. The total cost was probably around 5 bucks :)
Kind of cute. Right?

Then Evelyn and I made this one for the window in our dinning room.
Goes nice with the plastic on the windows :/
Evelyn said that the house smells like "spicy peppermints" now.

When I got done making the garlands, I was feeling all ghetto Martha Stewart-ly, so I decided it was time to take down the Halloween decorations and make this cute door hanging thing.

I found the container on clearance at Target for $3 and already had the flowers :)

Take my word for it. It all looks and smells better in person ;)   *Dear Santa. Please bring me a camera for Christmas that doesn't suck like the one I have now* ....Then maybe I wont use the word "suck" anymore.

3 comments:

  1. Your house always looks and smells great!
    Love ya,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute Idea I like the one that you and Evelyn made best. I think that they need to be wrapped around garland or something more substantial. I agree with your mom your house always does smell nice:)Makes me want to decorate for Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool idea:-) I wish I had more time to be crafty...lol. We need another scrap booking night! I got my little Evil Weevil to scrap now:-)

    ReplyDelete