Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Maybe she's on to something!

I was all set to write a blog about how my daughter is turning into one of those kids that I swore I'd never have. About how she's been embarrassing us with some of the things that she's been saying in public, but I can't. The more I wrote, the more I had to laugh. Which is what I tend to do when she says the things she says :/  Evelyn is only five and we are at the point where we really need to start working on teaching her NOT to say everything that comes to her mind. A lesson that I myself am still learning.

I remember when Logan went through this stage. The worst was when I was talking to one of his Sunday school teachers at church, and he randomly walked up and said "You're fat." I was mortified. It was true though. And he wasn't trying to hurt her feelings. He was just stating a fact. The lady was heavy. But teaching a child to filter their words takes time. While I'm patiently waiting for Evie to get a hold of this concept, I can't help but get a kick out of some of the things she says. And If I'm not laughing I'd probably be crying.

Like last night when we had a family from church over for dinner. We're just starting to get to know them and this was the first time (maybe last) we've gotten together. After being in the house for less then ten minuets Evelyn asked if anyone would like to play "midget tag." When I asked her how to play, while in my head I prayed it wouldn't be what I feared it would, she explained that you had to get on your knees and catch the midgets. *sigh* Thankfully our guests were not offended. I can't say the same for the poor lady at the gym. Evelyn asked recently if she was a boy or a girl! I felt so bad for the lady that I just walked away like I didn't hear the question. But the worst was when she junk punched a man Jonathan was talking to at church the other night. God help her! I wont even go into when she was using the Lord's name in vain!

She really is a sweet girl. Beautiful, smart ,funny. But a work in progress and I'm enjoying every minute of it! I really am.


But there is a fine line between being honest and rude. And sometimes as adults don't we wish it could be socially acceptable to drop our filters for just ONE day? Isn't there someone in your life you wish you could just punch and walk away laughing? Maybe Evie is smarter then we think. Maybe he deserved it...

2 comments:

  1. Haha! Reminds me of when I sucker punched Craig Plante in the stomach and he literally doubled over. My dad was stunned as was everyone else that was standing there. My dad apologized profusely, but to this day I can still remember the look on his face and how he struggled to do the "right" thing by punishing me and being proud that his young daughter had just made a grown man almost blow chunks. I do know this, Craig Plante did not deserve it...lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Rachel! I bet your mom knows exactly how I feel. Poor Craig! at least the guy Evie did it to was less likable ;)

    ReplyDelete